Saturday 24 January 2015

The cake tasting and the wedding registry (part 2)

So we were a little unhappy with the Crate and Barrel gift registry process (you cannot manage/change your wedding registry online, nor can your guests purchase gifts online) so we decided to switch over to The Bay (Canada's Gift Registry!!).

As previously mentioned, I used to work for The Bay, so I've seen first hand how awesome their wedding registry process is. Firstly, you have to make an appointment to scan items on your registry... and they give you this really awesome box which includes a catalog where you can scan items into your registry using their new app!! In the box, there is also a guideline list of things you "might need" (eg, a list of linens, a list of kitchen gadgets, etc) And you can manage your registry online. Crate and Barrel was a lot less formal - you can walk in at anytime to register. They don't give you a list of "guidelines" that can help you during your registry process... One last difference, The Bay gives you a year to complete your registry; Crate and Barrel only gives you 6 months. 

The box
However, Crate and Barrel has a few items that The Bay does not carry (eg: Bobby's beer/bar glasses) so we are going to keep both registries. To be honest, I am sure most of the items on both registries we will end up purchasing ourselves because who buys gifts for weddings anyway??! People usually just give cash these days!!

We spent a good hour and a half on the 5th floor of The Bay in downtown. I thought that registering would be a lot more fun, but its actually overwhelming. Its hard to decide which plates, or which glasses to register for... and it doesn't help that Bobby and I have polar opposite taste in everything!!

After scanning a million plates into our registry, we headed for the 2nd floor (my favorite floor!!!) to check out the shoes I want to get for the wedding. Originally, I wanted the red Valentino rock stud pumps, but 
1) they don't match my wedding dress 
2) they aren't leather so they aren't worth the 995$ plus tax
I really want shoes that are not classic wedding shoes - shoes that are different, yet match my style and shoes that I can wear again. These Alice and Olivia pair are amazing. They are a little high so I would need to practice wearing them (I wear flats all the time)... but they aren't pricey. 335$ before tax... I am waiting for The Bay VIP sale (25% off anything in the store - anything that is not licensed or in The Room at least). Also keeping my options open in case I find another pair of shoes I like :)

So after The Bay, we headed to Ganache Patisserie for a wedding cake consult and cake tasting. When we lived in downtown, we bought a lot of cakes at Ganache Patisserie. Their cake is AMAZING. So when it came time to consider where we should buy our wedding cake, there was no other option!! Peter from Ganache sat with us and helped us design our cake. We also tasted some cakes before going for a custom option. Can't wait to serve this to our guests ;)

We tasted 5 cakes and these were the leftovers we got to bring home
So after paying for the cake deposit.. and the cake consult.. we decided we did not spend enough money on cake today so we bought another cake for our friend Janice's birthday! It was her birthday a few days ago and we didn't know what to get her... so why not an awesome cake from our favorite bakery! We got her the mango chocolate mousse cake (or whatever it is called) and we dropped it off just after dinner. Luca got all hyped up on sugar. Mental note to not give him any sugar when we babysit next week ;)

And that was Saturday. I am honestly impressed that we are getting lots done for our wedding. I am constantly crossing things off my list!! Woo hoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment