Monday 19 January 2015

The wedding registry

So today yesterday, we did our wedding registry. I made a list of things we needed/wanted, headed to Crate and Barrel… and wandered somewhat aimlessly for over an hour.

Before I get into the amazingness of shopping for things “for free”, I wanted to share a funny story about my experience with wedding registries from my days working as a Sales Associate at The Bay J

Back in… 2004-2007 (ish), I worked at The Bay Coquitlam as a cashier. The job in itself was kind of boring.. but as a student, I actually worked with lots of fellow UBC Science students, so it was kind of fun hanging out with people you knew.. outside of school… while making money. Anyway, so one Saturday morning in the summer, I checked in for work and before I could even get behind the cash desk, this gentleman came up to me asking where he could print a wedding registry list. So I walked with him to the wedding registry printer and helped him print his niece’s wedding registry out… and told him to have a look at the list to see what he wanted to purchase… and to find one of us Sales Associates if he needed help locating something. The lovely man looked at me and says “Okay, well I need help buying everything left on this list”. Immediately, I assume he is JOKING.. I mean, who the heck buys out the rest of someone’s registry??!?! Well, the man was NOT joking… His niece was getting married that morning and he wanted to complete her wedding registry. Now this is actually an extremely sweet gesture since no one usually ever completes their wedding registry… and its always the small things that get left behind (picture frames, oven mitts, etc) since people usually end up buying the “more expensive items” (blenders, toasters, bed sheets, etc).. However… since the man’s niece was getting married that morning, the man actually did not have time to do the shopping himself. Not only was he attending the wedding (duh), but he was also emcee for the reception, which meant that he had to leave the store ASAP to get ready for the wedding… and he couldn’t be back until right before the store closed… Which meant that I had the pleasure of running around the store looking for items left on his niece’s registry. I recruited a co-worker to help out and we even found some boxes to put the presents in so we could wrap everything up. We rang everything up on a cash register so that the total would be ready for when the man returned to pay for everything. He didn’t want to leave his credit card number – he only promised to return around 4pm (we were closing at 6pm). Well, 4pm rolls by and no man… 430… no man… I start to panic and think we got punked.. and that not only did I spend all morning looking for all of this crap.. I was also going to have to spend all afternoon putting it back!! We called the man and he kept saying he would be there soon … I think we were all starting to lose hope before the man walked back into the store (in his tux!) to pay for everything. I think the total was only a few hundred dollars but I’m sure his niece was touched at his extremely kind gesture J

Note: this is note a story shared with anticipation that we will also have a fairy god-uncle come and buy everything off of our list! I just had to share this story because it’s so random J


Anyway, back to our registry story:

I think we did okay. We didn't go TOO crazy - we did register for a LOT of glasses (Bobby had to have every single beer glass, and some moscow mule mugs... and then we also had some regular drinking glasses and wine glasses). I was going to go online to remove some glasses but we can't access our registry online (even though the Sales Associate at Crate and Barrel said that we could :( ). I also need to change the sheets we requested... and add some fancy dinner plates.


My most FAVORITE item we requested was this doormat. Okay seriously, I only requested one, but I think I should have requested every one they had in stock!!! ;) We can have a hedgehog door mat at every door in the apartment!!! The only downside is having a hedgehog mat means "stepping on Kiwi"... But the mat is so cute so I am okay with that!



No comments:

Post a Comment