Wednesday 12 February 2014

Valentine's Day Present!!

Day 305 (Part two)

I gave Bobby his Valentine's Day present... because I finished working on it and I could no longer keep the secret and I wanted him to see what I made for him.

In case you had forgotten, I told Bobby we could only spend 20$ on each other for Valentine's Day this year. (You can read about the "20$ challenge here).

Anyway, so this blog is going to be kind of long... so read on if interested:

The first step to this project was brainstorming on what to make. I turned to pinterest for help. After scouring many pinterest pages, I finally got the idea to make a book of our "abcs". (Eg: Normal abc books would go something like, a is for apple... but I could tailor the alphabet to be more Bobby and me related).

The second step was to make the book. I have a TON of this coloured card stock paper I stocked up on back in Christmas when I was slightly obsessed with making my own holiday cards. And because I already owned all of this stuff, it was "free"/not going against my 20$ budget ;)

I picked the colours I wanted and cut them down to size (I basically split the 8x11.5 inch paper in half width wise)
 The first thing I bought for this project was the alphabet stickers (4.99$ minus 40% off at Michaels)

I went with this pack because the font was colourful and fun.
I wasn't sure how to put the book together... So I took the easy way out: hole punched paper held together with these rings (not sure what they are called). I have a bunch of these left over from school (yay more free things for my project!)


So I put the book together...
Ta da!!
 Putting the book together was the easy part....

Here is my cover
Coming up with something for each letter was kind of challenging... However, the hardest part was obviously making each page. Some of the pages features some original art work from yours truly...

A is for americano with ice cubes (because that is how Bobby likes his coffee)
However, because I am not that great of a drawer, I spent about 7$ getting photos printed at London Drugs.

D is for do it yourself projects! (Bobby has lots of these)
And because I don't have photos of everything I wanted in the book, I looked to the internet and printed a few pictures too :)
G is for google (because Bobby doesn't like Apple)
I also have a bunch of stickers from scrapbooking, etc, which I was able to use for some pages (yay more free project stuff!)
N is for New York City
I actually gave this book to Bobby over the weekend. I was so excited and I wanted him to see all of the hard work I spent on it ;)

And of course, the card, the best part of any present!!! The paper is from the card stock pile mentioned above. I got this cuuuuuute hedgehog sun catcher thing from Michaels for 1.50$. The 'You are the best" cut out is part of a "thank you" package thing I bought at Michael's for 7.99$ minus 40%. I bought a million thank you cut outs because I wanted to make our realtor a thank you card.. and also because I will need to make a million thank you cards after our wedding.

Hello Bobby... You are the best!

So in the end, I spent pretty close to 20$, but only because I included the you are the best cut out. (I spent about 5.50$ for 36 cut outs.. so technically this one cut out only cost 15 cents.. therefore I only spent about 15$ ;))

Anyway, a very happy Valentine's Day to my valentine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment