Wednesday 2 July 2014

The True North Strong and Free

Happy birthday, Canada!!!

I had a great time celebrating Canada Day at Buntzen Lake yesterday. I hadn't been to Buntzen Lake in years but we are like 15 minutes or so away from it now and it's a great lake! You can rent canoes or kayaks, there are hiking trails and there's even an enclosed dog beach area! Lots of picnic tables for bbqs (but you have to get there early!) and the lake is huuuge.

So we bbq'd with my family. Bobby and I also went canoeing and hiking. My body is a little sore, but a good kind of sore. It's the "I didn't sit around all day and I feel very accomplished kind of sore". It was really hot though. It was about 30 degrees, but it probably felt like 32/33 degrees. We were at the lake though, so we got the occasional breeze. Bobby and I went to the fireworks at Lafarge Lake at night, and wow, I am impressed with the soiree the City of Coquitlam put together. The fireworks were pretty impressive. Plus we were able to walk home.



Now, a little side note on why I love this country:

I moved to Canada as a 4 year old. My parents left our somewhat comfortable life (my dad had a job he loved, and my mom worked part time - she spent most of her time taking care of my brother and I, but she also worked part time with friends who my parents still keep in touch with today) in the Philippines and moved to Canada, this wonderful free country where dreams really do come true. We left pretty much everything behind. Everything. I remember being told I could not bring my tambourine on our move because it would not fit in any of our luggage. We moved to a country where I did not speak the language at all (my parents and my brother spoke English but not perfectly). My parents both had to start over career-wise, and they both took on whatever job they could to help provide for our family.

I never truly realized how lucky I was to live in this country until I went back to the Philippines in 2009. It was a real eye opener for me because when you grow up in a country where education is free, and the opportunities are seemingly endless, you tend to take things for granted. I am forever grateful that my parents made the decision to relocate our family. They seriously gave up so much for my brother and me that I am seriously getting teary eyed just writing this blog.

Happy 147th birthday, Canada!

1 comment:

  1. Great Post Jenn! Love the emotion in it. You are a true Canadian.

    ReplyDelete