Monday 18 July 2016

The Master Bedroom Update - pt V

Next up on the list: new bed sheets, duvet and mattress cover!

Okay, but first, can I complain about how expensive duvet covers are? Seriously, I cannot understand why they are $200+. Is that not insane? You can get bed sheet SETS (fitted sheet, flat sheet, 2x pillow cases) for way less than that!

I'm giving myself a budget of 550 (with tax!) to buy all of this stuff. Hopefully, I can stick to this budget because bed linens are so pricey! Keep in mind, I live in Canada where the prices/tax are high :(

Here's my shopping list
- Duvet
- Duvet cover
- Two sheet sets
- Mattress cover
- 4 Pillow cases

Ideally, I am going for a yellow, light grey, white/cream theme. Our new bed is a dark brown and I think yellow would be a nice contrast... and yellow and grey/white/cream look so nice together :)

First item purchased: A new duvet. I ended up purchasing the Sealy 'My Temperature Regulating Duvet' from The Bay yesterday during their one day sale! The king sized duvet was on sale for 152$ from 380$. Score! Unfortunately, I didn't realize mattress covers were also part of the one day sale yesterday... and I missed out. Alas, I will wait for another sale or hit up Winners/HomeSense!

Side note: The Bay is the strangest store for online shopping ever! They don't have a 'pick up in store' option... and they primarily ship with Canada Post... and Canada Post is incredibly frustrating and they might go on strike. Anyway, this duvet ships from a store (not their warehouse) and I know they have two king sized duvets at the store closest to my house... so one would assume that they would take one of the duvets at The Bay Coquitlam and ship it to me (it would be the cheapest and most efficient way to do this right?). However, The Bay decided to ship me one from Toronto.. using Canada Post... so we'll see if I end up getting this by end of July/early August.

Second item purchased: New duvet cover. I have been eyeing this duvet cover for a while, but for 260$ on sale, no thank you. Instead, I picked this up from Crate and Barrel. This set is actually the duvet I put on our wedding registry over a year ago... so it's good to know that I still like it one year later ;)

Photo Credit: Crate and Barrel
The only irritating thing is that this duvet cover doesn't come with pillow cases/shams as most duvet covers do. I guess this is good because we don't actually have king sized pillows (yet?)... but I feel cheated and think that 160$ just for a duvet cover is ridiculous! I actually stopped by Winners on my way back to work from Crate and Barrel to have a quick peak at their duvet covers.. but they didn't have anything that caught my eye... so I'll hold on to the one I bought for now and continue to look for better deals.

Third items purchased: New pillow cases! We don't have king sized pillows right now... and I needed new pillow cases because all of the ones we own are old... and the sheet sets I will buying will only contain king sized pillow cases #firstworldproblems. So.. I hit up the winners by my house and picked up standard pillow cases (2 for 9.99$!). I picked up a yellow pair and a white pair. I'm still thinking about whether I want to keep the white pair... I wish they had two yellow pairs available! :P

Fourth and Fifth items purchased: After struggling carrying the duvet cover home on the train on Thursday (who knew a duvet cover is so heavy!!!! Or am I just weak?), I drove to work on Friday so I could hit up the Winners by my work to get a mattress cover. I spotted one Thursday... but because I had already bought the duvet cover made of lead, there was no way I was going to carry both items on the train ride home! Since I drove, I was able to buy a mattress cover and I found a set of sheets in light grey (the perfect grey colour!!):)

Okay, so the breakdown:
- $170.24 for the duvet
- $162.11 for the duvet cover
- $22.38 for the pillow cases
- $67.19 for the mattress pad
- $67.19 for one sheet set

For a total of: $489.11.... which means I only have 61$ for the second sheet set :P I can make this happen (especially if I return the white pillow cases I am still not 100% wanting to keep ;)). In any case, we have enough sheets to get by for now (since we have the one my mom gave us) so I am in no rush to buy a second sheet set.

For now the bed is awesome. I washed all of the sheets, the mattress cover, etc and they are so soft!! Can't wait for the duvet to arrive so I can put everything together! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment