Wednesday 17 December 2014

Blogmas Day 17 - the microwave

So for the past… 4 years or so, I have lived without a microwave. It’s not that I have anything against them (I’m not super paranoid about microwaves = radiation/cancer, etc).. I just never had one. When you live in downtown and:
-         - You aren’t rich (eg: playing for the NHL.. or married to someone playing for the NHL)
-          - Your kitchen does not have a built in microwave
That probably means that you don’t own a microwave because you don’t have space for one in your teeny tiny aparment.

My last apartment was 500 square feet total (and that’s being generous). Plus, it was kind of oddly laid out. The walk in closet was huuuuge, but lacked actual clothes storage (eg: racks and shelves).. so it was kind of a waste of space. I mean walk in closets are nice and all, but if it came to having a large closet or having a larger living room area, I would have picked a larger living room area. And so, by the same logic, when it came to using counter space for a microwave, or using it for something else (other small appliances/counter space for cooking perhaps?), I chose to give up the microwave. The stove is perfectly fine for reheating food – yes it takes longer, but it also means that your food heated more evenly and it tasted better.

When we moved into our current place, the previous owner left their microwave behind. It was really old – the microwave was white at some point, but it had yellowed. Also, I’m pretty sure that the microwave was really well loved because the oven was in pristine condition. I’m sure they used their stove to cook, etc, but you never get an oven in pristine condition unless it is brand new (trust me, I tried to clean my oven recently, and it is just not possible to get it back to its “brand new” condition). So needless to say, the microwave was donated and again, we were left without one.

For some reason, not having a microwave really bothered my mom. She would ask me questions like “but how do you heat your food”? Um.. in the oven? This answer was not acceptable. Apparently the oven cannot be used to warm food! I don’t know. So not having a microwave really bothered her and what do you know, she got herself and my dad a new microwave and now she “had a spare one that she doesn’t know what to do with.. did I want it?” Uh… sure I guess. I had recently been looking into getting microwaves because I have been looking into self-waxing options at home.. and lets face it , you need a microwave to use hot wax at home… So I agreed to be the bigger person and take her spare microwave out of her hands. Now, will I be using the microwave for food? Maybe… ;) We shall see :)

Et voila!! Thank you for the microwave, mom

No comments:

Post a Comment