Thursday 18 December 2014

Blogmas Day 18 - TRHoV (The Real Hedgehog of Vancouver)

Okay, I am the first person to admit that I am obsessed with hedgehogs Kiwi (the hedgehog). She's just so cute and she's a little bit crazy... and every time we go away, I miss her. There, I said it, I miss Kiwi when I'm away. Also, I worry about her (is she too cold? is she eating?!?!? is she breathing?!?!?!??!). You can only imagine my paranoia when I have kids... but let's not open up that can of worms years early...

So, to remedy that situation, Bobby got me a dropcam for Christmas. Now I can spy on Kiwi any minute of the day. I even get alerts to my phone when "activity is detected". Unfortunately, live streaming uses a lot of data so I don't live stream unless I am on WiFi.... I need to find a way for others to be able to watch her live feed and watch her cuteness.

I'm actually pretty shocked at how active Kiwi is. Hedgehogs are pretty much "nocturnal" animals, but Kiwi is awake all hours of the day. After reviewing some footage from yesterday, she wakes up at random times to eat/drink/sniff around/scratch her butt and run on her wheel. She's most active late at night (11pm) or early morning (1am), but she's also up around 5am/7am/11am/5pm, etc. My original assumption/estimate of her sleeping 22.5 hours a day was wrong!!

If it is not obvious enough, I am excited to be able to keep an eye on Kiwi when we go on vacation always ;)

So far, these are my two favourite clips:

Today she went out to get a drink (as you can see)... but it was really cute, because she ended up falling asleep by the water bottle for an hour 
Yawning! So cute!!
So right now, we have two weeks free of being able to "save" and "rewind" clips. We also get free notifications when she's active... At first, I told Bobby we will not need this service when the free trial ends... but I'm already trying to justify the 100$/year it costs to keep this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment