Wednesday 31 December 2014

Blogmas Day 31 - 2014 in review

Okay, another year has gone by. I know this is very cliche, but seriously, where the heck does time go?!?
Just this time last year, we were ringing in the New Year in Manhattan. This year, we are doing a much more low-key new years eve since we just got back from San Francisco (a trip that coincided with a terribly weak Canadian dollar)

So much has happened over 2014 so I thought I would mention some highlights:

January: We bought an apartment!

We were really lucky because we only looked at 8 apartments before moving forward with an offer for our current place. We only went apartment hunting twice. The first time it was probably early December 2013. We looked at 4 places - none of these places screamed "pick me, pick me pick me!!!!" so we decided to take a break until after we got back from Florida/New York. We went apartment hunting again in January - we looked at 4 more apartments (3 in the building we currently live in). To be honest, our current apartment was obviously the one we were going to buy since it has three bedrooms (all of the other apartments were only 2 bedroom apartments) and it was such a great deal! However, there was another apartment in the building that had the BIGGEST patio ever that we kind of considered buying as well.. but we decided to be realistic and get the apartment with the third bedroom. That way, Bobby could get his own space and we still had room to grow so that when we do have a kid, we wouldn't be forced to move. Plus, the third bedroom has been really awesome! Marco lived there for a few months, friends who have visited have stayed there.. and Kiwi is currently chilling in it with her heater on full blast...

February: Valentine's Day in Whistler turns into the most expensive stay anywhere for us!

We went to Whistler for some snowboarding fun on February 14th. Bobby got me lessons years back and I was finally going to use them that weekend. Everything was fine and dandy... except that it snowed a LOT overnight on Saturday.. so much so that everyone headed up to Whistler for some fresh powder on Sunday! Seriously.. it was crazy busy! When we finally left, it was snowing pretty hard. We were all driving 10 km an hour on the Sea to Sky highway. It seriously took forever to get half way to Squamish when we came to a dead stop. There was a multi-car accident just ahead which essentially shut down the highway. We finally decided to go back to Whistler for the night... and since it was Reading Break, the only room left was an 800$+/night suite. How great! The room was amazing. It had two fireplaces, a private balcony with a hot tub.. etc.. lovely things I did not care to enjoy at that time since I was so pissed off/stressed out about the day... and we had to get up REALLY early the next morning since I had to work. Luckily, I made it to work only 20 minutes late.. but it was no fun having to go straight to work from Whistler after that disaster!

March: We say goodbye to life in downtown and move to suburbia

After our offer was accepted in January, we decided to move in mid March to give our former landlord two months notice to find new awesome tenants. With the help of friends, we packed everything up and moved 45 minutes away... and it was seriously the easiest move ever. Our apartment is still a work in progress but it's definitely feeling more cozy and like home every day! We definitely enjoy having a lot more space (I mean, come on! Even Kiwi our HEDGEHOG has her own bedroom ;)) and we live in such a nice area (we are close to parks, hiking trails and shops!).

Another March event was the sudden loss of Chaos, our first hedgehog/Kiwi's mama. We still miss Chaos very much. We even created a geocache last summer, but some stupid punks stole it :( We are re-grouping and thinking of a better and more permanent way to honour her memory.

April: I turn 30

I was 100% okay with saying goodbye to my twenties and turning 30... until it was a few days until my birthday. I got depressed and panicky for no reason... It was the "turning 30 jitters". However, Bobby threw me the most awesome birthday party with all of my closest friends present. Bobby even hired a magician to come by and wow the crowd :)

May: Bobby and I celebrated 4 happy years together

Okay, not every single day of those 4 years was happy because obviously we have had our disagreements and fights.. but we love each other and I can honestly say that Bobby makes me a better person. He helps me achieve my dreams and is so supportive of my decisions (except impulse buying, he hates those ;) ) Also.. he just gets me... I know I can be super annoying and am border line cray cray at times, but Bobby loves me for me :) (well, at least I think he does :P)

June: Najin and Lawrence get married

This seriously was the most awesome friends weekend away ever! Not only did we get to see some awesome friends walk down the aisle and promise to spend the rest of their lives together, but it was such an awesome gathering/party of all of our close friends. Not once have we all gone away for a weekend so it was nice to have everyone there :)
We all stayed at Nita Lake Lodge (highly recommend this as a weekend getaway spot - only downside is that it is quite far from Whistler Village) so no worrying about drinking and driving, especially since the wedding had an open bar!

July: Celebrating Bobby's day of birth

It's Bobby's birthday! Someone bring out the beer.. and nutella... Lots and lots of nutella ;)

August: Lots and lots of summer fun!

As previously mentioned, we created a geocache for Chaos (which lasted for a few days before getting stolen). We also really got to enjoy summer in our new 'hood. Lots of visits to Lafarge Lake and Rocky Point.

September: Whistler Craft Beer Weekend

Need I say more?!

October: Halloween, Bobby's main holiday of the year

Every year, Bobby slaves away making his Halloween costume. Most people buy costumes off the rack at Target, or Value Village.. But not Bobby. His costume has to be 100% custom made... and he also has to go to Home Depot 23 times during the costume making process.. and he also has to buy at least 4 new tools... wait, what are we talking about again? Oh yea, so this year, we joined in on the Halloweeen Convention festivities in downtown. Hands down, Bobby had the best costume there. Everyone wanted to take a picture of him. Everywhere we went, we had to stop for at least 15-20 minutes so that people could take pics... Here are some bonus pics of Kiwi in her costume.

November: Fun times decorating our much larger apartment for Christmas

In our old apartment in downtown, we had ZERO space for a Christmas tree... so much so that Bobby got the Charlie Brown tree (the one branch, one red ornament kind) for us... but even then, we had no space to put THAT tree on. Well, not anymore at this apartment! As soon as it was "okay" to put up a tree (eg: not too early - Bobby needs time to unwind post Halloween fun), we went to Target to pick one out. In the US, I guess most families put their decorations up after Thanksgiving... well our Thanksgiving is in October... and the only holiday we have in November is Remembrance Day... so I have started using the day after Remembrance Day as the day it is okay to start decorating! Must also mention, November is when we start counting down to Christmas... and Bobby starts counting down to when he can open his advent calendar

December: Family vacation in San Francisco

I had so much fun spending Christmas with both my family and Bobby's family. It was also the first time our parents have met... happy to report they got along... now everyone is excited about our wedding... which means the pressure is on my to plan, plan, plan!!

I have so much to look forward to in 2015 (a wedding and honeymoon!!) and I feel so blessed to be where I am in life today. Wishing everyone a very Happy and safe New Year's Eve!! All the best for an even better 2015!!

Merry 2015 from Bobby, Kiwi and me

No comments:

Post a Comment